Andy's practice focuses primarily on construction and local government law. He has extensive experience in all types of civil litigation and levels of complexity. Andy represents clients in local and regional matters, as well as state and federal litigation. In addition to serving as trial counsel, he also advises and represents clients in arbitration and mediation.
With a strong engineering background, Andy understands the complex technical issues involved in construction matters. He uses this understanding in the course of representing and advancing the interests of owners, contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, and suppliers in all phases of the construction process, including negotiation, contract preparation, and dispute resolution.
Andy co-chairs the firm's Government and Municipal Law Group and oversees the firm's legal services to local governments. He currently serves as general counsel for two large water districts and has provided special counsel assistance to many other local governments throughout Washington State.
Andy also serves as an arbitrator and mediator. See www.adrroundtable.com.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- King County Bar Association
- Chair, Public Policy Committee, 2011-present
- Board of Trustees, 2004-2007
- Chair, Judicial Evaluation Committee, 1983-86
- Washington State Bar Association, Construction Law Section:
- Council Member 2001-2007; Chair 2007-08
- City of Bainbridge Island:
- Open Space Commission: Member and- Chair, 2001-2007
- Councilmember, 1991-1999, Chair 1994-96, Interim Mayor 1997
- Kitsap Public Facilities District - Director, 2000-2005
- Kitsap County - Board of Freeholders, 2001-2002
- Westhill Water District, Bainbridge Island, WA, Organizer, 1980-1982, and Commissioner, 1984-1991,
- Seattle Downtown YMCA - Board of Management, 1987-1989
Unique Recognition / Honors / Awards
- Recognized as a Washington "Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2001-2012
- Selected as "Top 100 Attorneys" in Washington, 2010
- Named one of "Washington's Most Amazing Attorneys" in the field of construction law by Washington CEO Magazine, 2006
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer review as AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.*
- Attorney, U.S. Army Reserves, retired with rank of Colonel, 1978-1994
- Served as Military Judge, 1979-1985
- Adjunct Professor, School of Business and Public Administration, University of Puget Sound, Seattle, WA, 1979-1984
- Infantry Officer, U.S. Army. Vietnam, Germany, South Carolina, 1967-1971
*Peer review Rated Lawyer of AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.* *AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.